Get The Prosecutor On Your Side
About Me
Get The Prosecutor On Your Side

My name is Danielle Diaz. One of the things I've learned in life, both inside and outside the courtroom, is that it is important to not see others as your enemy. Even though you may see the prosecutor as your enemy, he or she is just trying to do a job. It may be possible that you can get a prosecutor or the judge to be sympathetic and get him or her on your side. In order to accomplish this, you need to understand the law. I feel that most individuals do not understand the law, which is why I was motivated to create this blog.


Get The Prosecutor On Your Side

Involved In A Motor Vehicle Accident With A Uber Driver — Who Pays?

Douglas Thompson

Ride-sharing services such as Uber have become the preferred transportation in many cities. In some places, the services are so popular they are putting taxi services out of business. While Uber offers rides, they do not own any vehicles. All Uber drivers are independent contractors, and they provide their cars. But what happens if you are involved in an accident with an Uber driver? Who pays? That depends on several things.

What State Are You In?

One of the first questions you must answer in any motor vehicle accident is who is at fault? The fault may be less relevant in no-fault states. Each motorist's insurance will pay for their insured damages or injuries no matter who is at fault. You will file your claim with your own insurance company.

There are twelve states with no-fault car insurance laws on the books. These states are:

  • Florida, Kansas, Utah
  • Hawaii, Kentucky, Massachusetts
  • Pennsylvania, Minnesota, North Dakota
  • Michigan, New Jersey, New York

No-fault states place restrictions on your right to sue. You may still want to discuss your case with a motor vehicle accident lawyer if you do not feel adequately compensated. 

If you are in a comparative fault state, the at-fault driver's insurance company will be responsible for payment but only up to the extent of the driver's liability. For example, if the Uber driver is only 80% responsible for the accident, their insurance company will only be required to pay 80% of the compensation. You will be on the hook for the other 20%. 

Is There A Passenger In The Car?

The driver is on duty if there is a passenger in the Uber when the accident occurs. Being on duty means Uber currently covers the driver under their third-party liability coverage. This high-capped policy will cover your injuries and damages and any injuries to the passenger. 

If no passengers are in the vehicle, the driver's insurance will be liable to cover your injuries and damages. Carrying personal liability insurance on the car they are driving is a requirement to work for any ride-sharing company.

Accidents involving ride-sharing vehicles can quickly become messy. Motor vehicle accident laws are not as clear-cut as they are with other drivers. If you are involved in one, you owe it to yourself to speak with a lawyer. They will be glad to review your case and help you get the compensation you deserve.

Reach out to a motor vehicle accident law firm in your area to learn more.